Sunday, October 21, 2007

Dougal Dixon

One of the goals of this sight is to promote the importance of biological referance and scientific data for purposes creature development in the motion picture industry. Pietr Folkes immediately comes to mind with his marine biology expertise. I also mentioned Wayne Barlowe, who also injects natural history into his science fiction and fantasy creations. In my previous post I mention my fondness of Barlowe - I've spent many hours perusing his books of illustrations. In that post I mention how I was introduced to Barlowe as a kid through the pages of Omni magazine, but I was mistaken. That particular issue of Omni actually featured Dougal Dixon, a writer with a background in earth sciences and palaeogeography. I may have gotten the two confused due to a rumor that an Dixon, in some way, copied some of Barlowe's work (this is mentioned on wiki site I reference below).

One of Dougal's books, After Man: a zoology of the future (go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_After_Man:_An_Anthropology_of_the_Future for more information) exemplifies how scientific data can benefit the world of science fiction and fantasy. The book is a capativity treatise on the evolution of man 5 million years into the future. It is primarily based on the impacts of genetic engineering, and how genetic engineering can fast-track the evolutionary process.

Dougal is primarily known for books on Dinosaurs. I not sure of his impact on the motion picture industry and if he influenced Mark Mcreery, who was the main conceptual designer for Jurassic Park (and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl).

-joe

No comments: